Monday, July 23, 2012

[POEM] Keeping


Both these hands can no longer keep,
Ribbons shove them downward
And so do other hands,
What are they now?
Are they still hands?
That really depends,
You say to me,
As if you know anything
About being free,
As if you know what it’s like
To hold onto anything,
As if you know
What it feels like to keep,
Or to be kept
Yet, under the drunk moon
You still wept
Like an infant without a womb
Or a plant without
A root
Expecting me to keep
Your foot,
Keep your foot
Underneath the bearded sunlight
As if you had been told
That I am the keeper of
Things,
That I love moving my fingers through them;
Hair, overgrown grass, flowing water
And the fingers
Of the occasional
Mystery,
Yet some of them were heavier
Than the chins of the Gods
Or the carriage of the moon,
Love, the only thing
I can keep
Now;
Fragile as a skull-leaf
Is myself

© Raeez Jacobs. Copyright 2012. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment